Monday, December 28, 2009

My Favorite Pound Cake

On New Year's day, we all usually get together at my mother's for a day of cooking, eating, laughing, and playing cards. At some point during the day, some of us will take a walk down to the river. We'll walk slowly and crunch fallen leaves. When we get there, we'll skip stones and look for turtles on the rocks.

It's a slow, relaxing day. Cooking with my mother is always a treat. She's an adventurous cook and makes old favorites along with new culinary enterprises. Mom is also a great mother of adult children, walking that fine line between giving encouragement and letting go. I am grateful every day for her.

Some traditional foods we eat to celebrate New Year's are black eyed peas, cabbage and oyster dressing. I always bring pound cake. I don't remember where I got the recipe, but I've made it for years now.

I make it 4 days ahead of time and put an apple slice in the middle of it until New Year's. This version of a simple cake has a few extra steps, but I think it's worth it. It's delicous just plain, but also good topped with fruit or whipped cream.

2 sticks of butter, softened
3 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 eggs, separated
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease a bundt pan.
2. Cream the butter and sugar.
3. Add vanilla.
4. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Sift flour and baking soda together.
6. Add flour mixture to butter and egg mixture, alternating with sour cream.
7. Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, then fold into cake mixture.
8. Pour batter into a greased
9. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cake cool 30 minutes before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it. What's on your mind?